Join Our Team- We’re Hiring!
International Volunteer Coordinator- Dominican Republic
International Volunteer Coordinators work with volunteer groups from North America that come to live and work in rural communities in the Dominican Republic on community development and service learning projects. Volunteer coordinators work in any of our international sites where they will work closely with our multicultural program staff under the supervision of the Site Coordinator. Site conditions are basic, reflecting the need of the communities where we work; volunteer coordinators should be prepared for camp-like conditions during service trips. Volunteer coordinators are responsible for preparing the logistics and cross-cultural service learning activities of volunteer groups, for leading those trips, and for any necessary follow-up. Volunteer coordinators also participate and assist in community development activities, and occasionally to assist with fundraising efforts.
Essential Job Criteria
Education: Bachelor’s degree or combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance.
Experience: Two years working with volunteer groups or other similar groups, experience with community development in a national or international setting.
Skills: Strong Spanish and English language skills; proactive, detail-oriented and organized; ability to work in a multicultural context; experience facilitating groups or other similar groups (camp groups, etc); a dynamic, positive disposition; The ability and willingness to physically participate with volunteers on development projects such as construction, reforestation, and others; ability to problem solve and function well under pressure; a clean driver’s license; ability to manage and track money and expenses; willingness to work without set schedule, such as weekends and evenings, and including international travel to any of our sites; basic computer literacy required; Standard transmission trucks are the primary means of transportation into and out of these communities.
- Plan cross-cultural service learning groups, including creation and management of budget, itineraries, and communication with trip leaders
- Guarantee project preparation, such as dormitory, worksite, reservations, and shopping
- Work with site team in community development initiatives, such as: community assessments, project implementation, project monitoring and evaluations and contracted staff trainings.
- Coordinate with mason team to guarantee construction materials, quantity of tools, identify construction site
- Coordinate and participate in tasks and activities for volunteers on the construction worksite
- Guarantee a quality service learning experience; actively create and facilitate reflections, cultural exchanges and educational activities
- Report to volunteers and others on project development and completion
- Reporting to US staff and volunteer contacts during and after volunteer trips
The position begins October 14, 2019. This is a salaried position with a benefits package. Contracts are for 10 months, and are renewable in some circumstances.
Please send resume and a cover letter in Spanish to email@example.com by September 1, 2019.